Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yoga Yesterday & Already a Fail

Only day three of the training, and I'm already trying to remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Get it? Ahahaha.

I made that joke to myself on accident while I was running my first half marathon. Couldn't help doing it again...



Anywhos, yesterday I went to yoga at Yoga House in Pasadena after work. One of the yoga instructors at my mom's gym suggested it way back in April and I bought a starter series of 5 classes. Unfortunately, I had a lot of trouble finding a teacher I liked - which was not a problem I expected to have - so after not going all summer I decided going to a class would be a good way to end the first day of school, plus I could finish my series and find a new place to try. But then I LOVED the lady who did it! So now I *try* to go Tuesdays and Fridays at 4 (though, to be honest, I haven't ever made it both days in a week), and while I'm definitely still early on in my yoga career, I like it a lot. Especially the nap at the end. (I think it's technically called 'savasana').

A challenge I'm going to encounter, however, is that Carrie is leaving for a 3-week retreat in India this weekend. I feel like I probably shouldn't just not do yoga for 3 weeks, especially since it's part of my lovely training schedule (courtesy of Other Colleen), but now that I've had a bunch of teachers I didn't jive with, I'm a lot more picky about it. We shall see what I decide to do about that...

Speaking of my training schedule, Other Colleen (as mentioned in previous posts) has graciously decided to make me one, though I think she vastly overestimates my motivation and running abilities.


This is actually a picture from before our St Patrick's Day party senior year,
but I imagine she had this look of concentration as she put my schedule together as well.
This week, I'm supposed to go to yoga twice and run four times for a total of 14 miles. I've done it so far - halfway!! - but I'm also going back to my parents' house this weekend so the yoga on Friday might be a challenge.


                        Monday    Tuesday    Wednesday    Thursday    Friday    Saturday    Sunday    Total Miles

10/28/2013       3 miles        Yoga         3 miles          3 miles        Yoga       5 miles       REST           14

I also had a sharp pain near my left calf during part of my run today, so I'm going to go see the trainer tomorrow (one of the perks of working at a high school where we have athletes!) to see if she can make anything of it. I'm hoping it was just a random thing today and doesn't set me back any.

Besides the pain, though, today's run was pretty good. The roomie and I went on our way home from work and ran pretty fast (for us... or at least for me) - we're estimating a 10-minute-mile pace. But that's where the fail comes in. I decided on Monday that I was going to map and time all of my runs during training so I'd have a record of my amazing improvement in the next 3 months. And then today I had my watch on, all ready to time, and I forgot to hit "start" once we started running.

Whomp Whomp.
Sound effects courtesy of this pretty lady ^^^ the lovely Catherine Wisniewski (soon-to-be-Sullivan).
She's great. I like her a lot.
So already I've failed at my mission. And now we'll never know exactly how my training went. My sincerest apologies. I know you all are very disappointed about this. I promise I will remember to time myself tomorrow, when I do my first run with Becca & Nadia (yes, the one who talked me into the second half marathon).

Speaking of running with people, if you ever want to be my running buddy, I'm in the market for as many as I can get. I'll be doing shorter runs M-W-Th and a long one on Saturday, so definitely contact me if you want in!

That's all for now. Stay tuned to find out what Lydia has to say about my leg.

*CLIFFHANGER*

No comments:

Post a Comment