Thursday, October 31, 2013

An Up/Down Halloween

What a day! Prepare yourself for another post full of random things...

First of all, today was Halloween, so I decided to be awesome and dress up at work. Our theme this year is Harry Potter and the girls were only allowed to wear Harry-Potter-themed costumes to school, so we teachers did the same.
Can you guess who i am? People have about a 50% success rate so far at figuring it out.
Also, can we just talk about how awesome Laura looks as Professor Trelawney? Seriously.
After lunch, I went to see Lydia the trainer. She took a look at my leg and said there was some annoyance and inflammation going on that probably had to do with the fact that I'm striding correctly now (which is good, she says!), and I'm just going to have to play it by ear to figure out what to do about it.

So then, after school, I went to the Rose Bowl - sensing a theme? - with this lovely lady.
This is Becca. She likes exercise and heat. We are very different.
Unfortunately for me (though happily for Becca), it was 80 degrees today. EIGHTY DEGREES. It's almost November, guys. ALMOST NOVEMBER. 

Dear Earth,
It's almost November. In fact, it will be November in 3 hours. It's time to cool down. Like a lot. Let's get to that, shall we? I'd be down for some 40s and 50s, but I'd accept 60s too. Pleeeeeeease?
                                                                                                             Thanks a ton. Love, Colleen.

Even though we don't agree on heat or exercise, Becca and I had a lot to talk about as we made our way around the Bowl. Turns out she moved her 3 years ago and it took her about 2 of those to really feel at tome - makes me feel a lot better about not feeling completely settled yet. I'm also really psyched about getting to know her better and run with her more as time goes on. She's pretty cool. And maybe her enjoyment of exercise will rub off on me somehow if I spend enough time with her...

And now, the sad news. As Lydia suggested, I tried running and seeing how it went. We made it about halfway around, running pretty slowly because I had some pain, and I decided I needed to take a walking break. After a third of a mile, we started running yet - or I suppose tried to start running would be more accurate. I barely took 2 steps before I had to stop again because it hurt so much.
This is how I feel about my leg situation.
We walked the rest of the way and then I hobbled around my house getting ready to go home for the weekend. A few hours later, it has stopped hurting and I can walk normally again, but I'm not sure what that means for running in my near future. I'm supposed to do 5 miles on Saturday. We shall see how that goes...

Send good anti-imflammatory thoughts my way, wouldja? I seem to have this habit of getting hurt (or sick) as soon as I'm somewhat motivated to exercise. And I'm trying so hard to be motivated to be good and train! So yeah, good anti-inflammatory thoughts. Thanks!

Until next time, y'all.

***UPDATE***

Lydia the trainer has strongly advised me to do no more running until she sees me on Monday. Sooo yeah. Guess I'm on break for a few days. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment